Manager Research Lab Safety Program, Mass Eye & Ear, Boston, MA
Organizes and manages a variety of Mass. Eye and Ear’s laboratory safety programs, e.g. radioisotope safety, chemical hygiene, biosafety, hazardous waste management, etc. for research laboratories at the various sites of the organization to ensure compliance with local, state, and federal health and safety codes and regulations. Manager is an active member of the Institutional Biosafety Committee, Animal Care and Use Committees, and the Radiation Safety Committee. The position is the designated primary contact for federal and state regulatory agencies concerned with lab safety. Seeks out and interacts with related department leadership, e.g. Employee Health, Security, etc. as needed to develop a robust program and ensure compliance with the research safety program.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences plus additional training or experience in Biosafety is required. Exposure to Molecular Biology and NIH guidelines is a plus. Master’s degree with a discipline in Science is strongly preferred.
2. 5 + years related experience.
3. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to present information effectively to top management or public groups. Ability to communicate effectively with federal, state, and local authorities.
Sr. Biosafety Program Coordinator, Boston Children's Hospital, Boston MA
Posted August 11, 2017
The Sr. Biosafety Program Coordinator will be responsible for:
· Providing administrative, scientific knowledge and direction to the Boston Children’s Hospital Boston’s Institutional Biosafety Committee.
· Collaborating with Research Administration to develop the IT IBC platform.
· Performing the day to day operations of the IBC such as reviewing biosafety protocols, maintaining records and monitoring biosafety activity within the institution. This position will also provide general research compliance support and oversight of laboratory research.
· Supporting the strategic vision and direction for the Research Laboratory community, and ensuring consistent application and compliance of the Boston’s Children’s Hospital Policies and Standards throughout the research community.
· Consulting with investigators and staff to improve and assure compliance standards with local, state and federal laws and regulations.
· Developing, driving and sustaining a strong, global safety culture.
· Overseeing all biological activity within the institution in compliance with local, state and federal regulations.
· Working with the research community to develop good laboratory practices and operational standards.
· Managing the Biosafety level 3 Core Laboratory.
To qualify, you must have:
· A Bachelor's degree in Science in Biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Occupational and Environmental Hygiene or a closely related field.
· Two to three years of post‑degree course work in Biosafety, Laboratory Safety or Occupational and Environmental Hygiene or other closely related fields, desirable.
· Five to seven years of experience analyzing and conducting risk assessments in biosafety and general safety issues demonstrating progressive responsibility with strong technical and operational knowledge.
· The understanding of the latest technical issues with molecular, microbiology, virology and mycology issues.
· Industrial Hygiene knowledge, desirable.
· Knowledge and training in good laboratory practices (GMP/GLP), desirable
We are currently seeking a part time temporary candidate to fill a Biosafety Program Support Role
The responsibilities are as follows:
• Reviews recombinant and synthetic nucleic acid molecules research for compliance withNIH Guidelines.
• Reviews microorganisms, toxins of biological origin, human and non-human primate cells, tissues and other potentially infectious materials research for biohazard potential.
• Reviews assessment of the containment levels required for the proposed research.
• Reviews assessments of the facilities, procedures, practices, and training and expertise of personnel involved in research.
• Writes and maintains IBC Meeting Minutes
• Conducts Biosafety and General Lab Safety Training
• Provides general support as needed
Please email resumes and inquiries to: [email protected]
Biosafety Specialist: "Biosafety Inspector", Tufts University
posted June 8, 2017
Tufts University has an opening for a Biosafety Inspector, to provide technical support to the Tufts University Biosafety Office as it relates to laboratory biosafety audits.
Assistant Biosafety Officer / EHS Specialist III, UMass Medical School. Worcester MA
The University of Massachusetts Medical School is searching for an Assistant Biosafety Officer/EH&S Specialist III. Click here to download more info.